CUSTOM LAND ROVER DEFENDER 90
AT A GLANCE
ENGINE: 2.5L diesel, 2.5L Turbodiesel or 200Tdi turbodiesel
TRANSMISSION: Five-speed manual with two-speed 4WD transfer case
BODY STYLE: Hard top, soft top, or both. (Inquire about the availability of D90 pickup truck.)
EXTERIOR: Your choice of color and wheels
INTERIOR: Your choice of color and materials
PRICE: from $32,500 plus shipping.
WHAT IS A DEFENDER 90?
Arguably the most recognizable motor vehicle of the last thirty years, the Defender 90 (or D90) is Land Rover’s evolution of the legendary “Series” 88, and was created to bring the classic Land Rover body style into the modern age. Built in Solihull, England, they are vastly more refined than their “Series” predecessors and fully useable on modern roadways. Even highways.
Unlike the last of the Series III 88’s from which they evolved, the Defender 90 uses long-travel coil springs at all four corners, full-time AWD, 5-speed manual transmissions, power steering, and they enjoy a roomier and more livable cabin. As a result, they are (by comparison to a Series III) comfortable, quiet, powerful and much better suited to daily driving.
But make no mistake, the D90 is still a savagely capable off roader, and has earned its reputation in the most difficult terrain on earth.
what WILL it look like?
What you see in the gallery above are just a few of the bespoke Defender 90’s we have built recently for clients, but how yours looks is totally up to you. Choose your body style, choose your engine, choose your paint color, choose what type of interior you want, and choose your wheels and tires and other details, and we get to work. Starting with a rust free, low mileage, and fully functioning donor, the exterior and interior are stripped for the color change, and the interior handcrafted in whatever combination of materials you'd like. Body is stripped and any flaws attended to, and the respray is done inside and out to a high standard. Wheels and tires are new, and the vehicle is reassembled, fully serviced and sorted, and test driven extensively to sort any niggles. Then we deliver it you, anywhere in the world, ready for daily use on road or trail.
So the finished truck is fully restored?
The word “restored” is a loaded one, and everyone has their own definition. In our minds? Absolutely not, it is not “restored.” We are starting from a rust free, mechanically excellent donor, and we are refurbishing it cosmetically to your chosen specifications. We fully check the mechanical condition of the truck, attend to any serious issues, and fully service it. Paint is new, interior is new, wheels and tires are new, compression is excellent, brakes are checked, fluids are changed, electricals are sorted, and when it leaves our shop it’s ready to be driven daily without issue. But we are not disassembling the truck down to every nut and bolt. We are not replacing every subsystem with new components. It is a used truck when we start, and it is a used truck when we’re finished, but it looks spectacular inside and out and runs and drives beautifully.
WHAT COMES ‘STANDARD’ ON THE BUILD?
The following items are included in all our builds at no additional cost:
- Complete strip and respray of the bodywork in your choice of color(s)
- Your choice of front grille from available choices
- Your choice of upholstery colors for seats, using high-quality German-made synthetic leather and/or available cloth
- Center console with integrated cup holders and cubby box lid upholstered to match interior
- Your choice of steering wheel. Original Defender, wood rimmed with 3 silver spokes, or black leather with 3 black spokes.
- Full hand-cut carpeting throughout the interior, front and rear, in your choice of available colors
- Your choice of (5) stock steel Defender wheels, “NATO” style Wolf wheels, or “Boost” style wheels in your choice of color
- (5) New all-terrain tires, size 235/85R-16, usually Kumho or Toyo
- “Swingaway” rear tire carrier for spare wheel
- New LED lighting front and rear (headlamps themselves remain H4’s with LED “halo” ring)
- Full mechanical check over and full service
- Starting price: $32,500
Are there any optional extras?
This is a bespoke build, and many things are possible, but below are some of the common optional extras people ask for, including pricing for each:
- Air conditioning ($4,500 installed, available for 200Tdi and 300Tdi engine only)
- Soft top conversion ($2,600 - includes three new doors, painted to match)
- Both tops, full painted hard top and separate soft top, including doors for each ($3,800)
- Matte-finish paint on bodywork ($850)
- “Puma style” bonnet ($600)
- Full leather upholstery ($750)
- Heated front seats for driver and passenger ($370)
- Exmoor “Loc n’ Fold” rear seat - front facing folding rear jump seat ($2000 each - NOTE: Will affect upholstery costs)
- Sound deadening/anti-vibration panels underneath interior carpeting ($400)
- Flip-up side steps under front doors and/or rear door ($100 each, installed)
- High-build, rust-deterring undercoating spray on chassis rails and crossmembers ($450)
- Two 6'“ round auxiliary LED auxiliary lights mounted on front bumper ($500)
- Rear LED load/work lamp ($160 - available on hard top models only)
- Twin 12 volt charging ports in rear cargo compartment ($200)
- Larger wheels and/or tires (Inquire. Price varies by choice)
Is there anything you cannot do?
Yes. We cannot change engines or transmissions here, as doing so would make the vehicle illegal for import into the USA. The same applies to suspension lifts, which complicate transportation and importation. We also do not offer stereo, speaker or navigation installations, as these are best handled with an installer local to you.
ANY ADDITIONAL COSTS?
Just shipping, which is currently $2,500, all-included, to the available east coast ports in the USA, or $4600, all-included, to west coast ports. Port-to-port cargo insurance is also available to protect your investment during shipping, and it is $400.
How long does it take?
About 14-16 weeks, give or take, but but build times always vary a little depending on the availability of suitable donors, and how much work we have underway at the time of your order.
What are the terms, and how do I pay?
Typical terms are 50% of the price of the vehicle as a deposit to get started, with the balance due, plus shipping, when the vehicle is completed and ready to ship to you. In some builds with a large number of expensive front-loaded options (such as air conditioning, “Loc n’ Fold seating, exotic wheels and tires, etc) the deposit to get started may be slightly higher in order to cover the costs of ordering those parts. All payments are by bank transfer in US dollars.
Do you finance? Can I pay by credit card or PayPal?
No, I am sorry. We do not offer financing and we do not accept credit cards or PayPal for payment.