CUSTOM “Series” LAND ROVER
AT A GLANCE
ENGINE: 2.25L diesel
TRANSMISSION: Four-speed manual with two-speed 4WD transfer case
BODY STYLE: 88, 109 2-door, 109 5-door, or 109 pickup
EXTERIOR: Your choice of color and wheels
INTERIOR: Your choice of color and materials
PRICE: from $16,500 plus shipping.
WHAT IS A SERIES LAND ROVER?
For a huge percentage of the world’s population, a Series Land Rover remains the first vehicle they ever laid eyes on. Iconic, rugged, capable, simple, a Series Land Rover is unique in the world of motoring. As tough on one hand as it is charming on the other, the Series Land Rover is relentlessly enduring both literally and figuratively. Regardless of body style the “series” makes every journey of any length feel like a proper adventure, and it’s nearly impossible to drive one without grinning like a child.
Invariably powered in our case by the plucky, robust 2.25L Land Rover diesel engine, a Series Land Rover isn’t particularly fast and isn’t particularly luxurious, but it will get you anywhere you need to go an home again with maximum style and charm.
what WILL it look like?
What you see in the gallery above are just a few of the bespoke Series Land Rovers we have built recently for clients, but how yours looks is totally up to you. Choose your body style, choose your paint color, choose what type of interior you want, and choose your wheels and tires and other details, and we get to work. Starting with a rust free, low mileage, and fully functioning donor, the exterior and interior are stripped for the color change, and the interior handcrafted in whatever combination of materials you'd like. Body is stripped and any flaws attended to, and the respray is done inside and out to a high standard. Wheels and tires are new, and the vehicle is reassembled, detailed as you like, fully serviced and sorted, and test driven extensively to sort any niggles. Then we deliver it you, anywhere in the world, ready for daily use on road or trail.
So the finished truck is fully restored?
The word “restored” is a loaded one, and everyone has their own definition. In our minds? Absolutely not, it is not “restored.” We are starting from a rust free, mechanically excellent donor, and we are refurbishing it cosmetically to your chosen specifications. We fully check the mechanical condition of the truck, attend to any serious issues, and fully service it. Paint is new, seats and carpeting are new, wheels and tires are new, compression is excellent, brakes are checked, fluids are changed, electricals are sorted, and when it leaves our shop it’s ready to be driven daily without issue. But we are not disassembling the truck down to every nut and bolt. We are not replacing every subsystem with new components. It is a used truck when we start, and it is a used truck when we’re finished, but it looks spectacular inside and out and runs and drives beautifully.
WHAT COMES ‘STANDARD’ ON THE BUILD?
The following items are included in all our builds at no additional cost:
- Series III specification with 2.25L diesel and 4-speed manual transmission, 2-speed 4WD transfer case
- Complete strip and respray of the bodywork in your choice of color(s)
- Your choice of upholstery colors for seats, using high-quality German-made synthetic leather and/or available cloth
- Your choice of steering wheel. Original Santana, wood rimmed with 3 silver spokes, or black leather with 3 black spokes.
- Full hand-cut carpeting throughout the passenger compartment (if desired), in your choice of available colors
- Your choice of (5) stock steel wheels refinished in your choice of color
- (5) New all-terrain tires, size 235/85R-16, usually Kumho or Toyo
- Full mechanical check over and full service
- Starting price: $16,500
Are there any optional extras?
This is a bespoke build, and many things are possible, but below are some of the common optional extras people ask for, including pricing for each:
- Series IIA specification donor vehicle ($3,000)
- Soft top conversion ($2,600 - includes three new doors, painted to match)
- Both tops, full painted hard top and separate soft top ($3,800)
- Overdrive transmission ($2,800)
- 16” NATO-style Wolf wheels ($875)
- Fender extensions ($750)
- Matte-finish paint on bodywork ($850)
- Full leather upholstery ($750)
- Heated front seats for driver and passenger ($370)
- Sound deadening/anti-vibration panels underneath interior carpeting ($400)
- Flip-up side steps under front doors and/or rear door ($100 each, installed)
- Bonnet mounted spare wheel ($475)
- High-build, rust-deterring undercoating spray on chassis rails and crossmembers ($450)
- Two 6'“ round auxiliary LED auxiliary lights mounted on front bumper ($500)
- Rear LED load/work lamp ($160 - available on hard top models only)
- Twin 12 volt charging ports in rear cargo compartment ($200)
Is there anything you cannot do?
Yes. We cannot change engines or transmissions here, as doing so would make the vehicle illegal for import into the USA. The same applies to suspension lifts, which complicate transportation and importation. We also do not offer stereo, speaker or navigation installations, as these are best handled with an installer local to you. Air conditioning is not available on Series vehicles.
ANY ADDITIONAL COSTS?
Just shipping, which is currently $2,500, all-included, to the available east coast ports in the USA, or $4600, all-included, to west coast ports. Port-to-port cargo insurance is also available to protect your investment during shipping, and it is $400.
How long does it take?
The actual build takes about 12 weeks, give or take, but sourcing a proper Series donor in your chosen specification will add to that time. If it’s a relatively common specification, a Series III 88 with standard 4-speed transmission, for example, we can usually find and get a rust free, low mileage, correct donor on site in a couple weeks. If, however, your specification calls for an early Series IIA 5-door with factory overdrive? That might take some time. We work under the motto “good in, good out,” which means we do not start from rusty, damaged vehicles. We only build from correct, proper, rust free, mechanically excellent donors, and finding a proper one for certain custom Series builds can take a bit of doing. But generally speaking, figure about 16 weeks to source a proper donor and complete the build, as an average.
What are the terms, and how do I pay?
Typical terms are 50% of the price of the vehicle as a deposit to get started, with the balance due, plus shipping, when the vehicle is completed and ready to ship to you. In some builds with a large number of expensive front-loaded options (such as air conditioning, “Loc n’ Fold seating, exotic wheels and tires, etc) the deposit to get started may be slightly higher in order to cover the costs of ordering those parts. All payments are by bank transfer in US dollars.
Do you finance? Can I pay by credit card or PayPal?
No, I am sorry. We do not offer financing and we do not accept credit cards or PayPal for payment.